After completing our initial face cast, our second lesson consisted of making a base to help keep the cast sturdy while sculpting. Below is the method of how we did it along with some pictures
- Modrock Plaster Bandage
- Plaster Dust
- Wax Loosening Agent
- Dust clay board with plaster dust
- Slice clay and place on the board and overlap each piece
- Smash the clay down flat and cut of top with cheese wire to smooth out surface and remove from the board.
- Place pervious face cast on to a wooden board and draw a circle 2 – 3 inches around it.
- Soak face cast in a bowl of cold water (only enough to cover the sides of the mask)
- Slice the piece of clay into 2-2 ½ inches wide to create a clay wall.
- Seal clay to the board to prevent leakage
- Apply Modrock plaster bandage about a foot long and wrap around the clay wall to give it support and strength when the plaster is poured in.
- Inside of the clay wall paint wax loosening agent onto the board to prevent plaster form sticking
- Pre-cut two pieces of scrim about the size of the wooden board
- Mix up plaster, make it up a little thicken than last time
- Tip a little plaster into the walls you have just made, add both pieces of scrim and pat down into the plaster so that all edges have been covered and that nothing is hanging over.
- Top up with the rest of the plaster but not right to the top, making sure that no scrim is showing – Also shake the plaster to make sure there are no air bubbles and that the plaster is level
- Place soaked face cast onto the in the centre of the plaster and leave to set
- If there are any holes around the edge of the face once you have put it in the plaster, you can fill it in with thicker plaster once the base has almost set
- Once set remove the clay and modrock wall, file the new cast down to make it smooth and remove any uneven areas on the face.
- Drill four holes, two on each side which will be used for guidance later on in the process of prosthetics making
- Apply shellac all over the cast until shiny
- Once the shellac is dry you are then ready to sculpt
Thanks for reading